I had to remove software without an installer and had to manually delete the software directory which left a number of services still visible in service manager.
There are two ways to delete a service – either from the command line or directly through the registry.
From the command line
· Use the SC (Service Control) command at a command prompt.
sc delete <servicename>
sc delete themes
would delete the themes service.
If the service name consists of more than one word or includes a space then enclose it with speech marks
sc delete “themes viewer”
You should get the message:
[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS
From the registry
· Use a registry editor such as regedit
· Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’SYSTEM’CurrentControlSet’Services
· Scroll down the left hand pane and locate the service name
· Right click the service and select Delete