Having experienced a large number of problems with the update process on Netware servers running Kaspersky 5.70.xx I generally find that I have to manually update the virus definition files.
Fortunately, Kaspersky do maintain 3 different update files that when applied will bring the client definitions up to date. Unfortunately, unlike McAfee the update file is not a single exe but instead a series of zip files that need to be merged to compile a repository of the latest definition files.
Kaspersky have 3 files that are updated regularly:
- A cumulative zip archive contains all antivirus databases released till the last Sunday. It is updated once a week on Sunday
- A weekly zip archive has all updates of threat signatures that were released last week (from Sunday till Sunday). The archive is updated on the servers once a week on Sunday
- A daily zip has all updates of threat signatures released since last Sunday till the present moment. As Kaspersky Lab releases updates every hour the archive is updated every hour too
The update files are available here http://www.kaspersky.com/avupdates
On a PC/workstation
- If your antivirus definitions are older than a week old then you will need to download the cumulative zip file and the daily zip file. This combination will provide all antivirus definitions.
- Create a folder on your workstation and extract all the files from the cumulative zip file into it.
- Next, extract all the files from the daily zip file. Copy these files into the same folder that contains the cumulative files and overwrite any files when prompted.
Prepare the Netware server
- If you use the Kaspersky Administration Kit check that the server is not currently trying to update. End any update processes
- At the Netware server system console unload the Klabav.nlm by typing unload klabav
- Type m kl* at the console will list any modules that are open. Only the klnagent.nlm should be running. If any instances of klabscan.nlm are running stop these by typing unload klabscan
- Copy all the contents in the root of KLAB\Bases into the KLAB\Bases\Backup directory and overwrite files when prompted
- Delete all the files in the root directory just leaving the backup directory
- Copy all the latest files made from the merging of the cumulative and daily definitions to the KLAB\Bases directory
- At the Netware server system console load the Klabav.nlm by typing load klabav
- Check the klab Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Novell Netware program screen top check that the ‘Last Update’ field is correctly updated